Thursday, June 11, 1970

We remember Vince Lombardi (1913-70)

Vince Lombardi was born in Brooklyn on this day in 1913.  He died in 1970.

My brother and I fell in love with Packer football when we moved to Wisconsin.  

We landed in Wisconsin in 1964 or in the middle of "the Lombardi run" that culminated with winning the first 2 Super Bowls.  Lombardi also won several NFL titles before the merger in 1971. 

Between that first game that we saw on TV and Super Bowl II, we caught just about every game.  

I remember the famous "Ice Bowl"!    


Bart Starr was my first football hero.  I wore # 15 because of my admiration for Starr.  

We also watched the Lombardi TV show discussing the last game and looking forward to next Sunday.  I loved the films, the strategy discussions and never missed a show. 

Thinking of Lombardi brings back many good memories.

P.S.  Check out my blog for posts, podcasts and videos. If you like our posts, please look for ”Donate” on the right column of the blog page.


Search This Blog